As a 100% online institution where all work is conducted on a computer via the internet, it is essential that Shiloh University students have access to a reliable personal computer.
The following technical requirements will help you prepare for participation with Shiloh University and work in the online classroom environment.
- A reliable computer.
- PC users should not use a computer running the Windows XP, Vista, or earlier operating systems. These systems are no longer supported by Microsoft and are vulnerable to malware attacks without up-to-date security patches.
- Mac users should use a computer running a current and supported version of Mac OS X (now Mac OS). Apple no longer supports Snow Leopard (10.6).
- Public computers, such as those found in a public library, may not be able to support all of the required functions such as:
- audio and video for proctored examinations
- the proper viewing of class presentations and other resources
- the ability to save files that you are working on
- A broadband Internet connection with a minimum download speed of 3 Mbit/sec is recommended. Your Internet provider should offer direct technical support.
- A video camera and audio microphone are required for most classes and for Personal Enrichment students who take classes that require them.
- Web cam with 720p HD video resolution or higher.
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer.
- Microphone connected to the computer. We recommend that you use a microphone built in to a headset or webcam.
- More detailed information on recommended products is provided in the Course Materials Master List located in the Student Information Center.
Software for General Classroom Use
For security reasons, please make sure to update all of your software on a regular basis and all critical security patches have been installed. When installing or updating the software, avoid installing any optional offers or updates that may be promoted.
- A major brand antivirus client with daily updates.
- A current version of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Apple Safari.
- Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers have minor compatibility issues with the classroom, and could affect your ability to complete assignments.
- Browser setup: Check the Help command in your browser for information on these settings.
- Enable first-party cookies. Most browsers are set up by default to do this. If your browser is not, change its settings so you can use all the features of the classroom site.
- Allow pop-ups permanently for the domain “shilohuniversity.edu.”
- If for some reason you cannot obtain Microsoft Word for your Apple computer, and you use the Apple Pages app, documents must be saved in Microsoft Word (.doc) compatible format. Your instructor is the bottom line for whether your submitted document can be read by them and is accepted.
- Personal enrichment students may use an alternative word processor, as long as it can open, edit, and save in a Microsoft Word compatible format (.doc).
Student’s Email Account
We recommend a “private” email account provided by your Internet service provider, for security reasons. This should be provided as part of your personal Internet service. We do not recommend a workplace account, or a public account provided by Hotmail, Outlook.com, AOL, or any similar provider. A Yahoo! email account is not acceptable for classroom use.