If I withdraw for the semester, how does that impact my financial aid?

Student withdrawals may occur:

  • Officially when the student communicates with the Registrar’s Office or the Financial Aid Office, or
  • Unofficially when the student stops attending classes but does not formalize the withdrawal. To understand the impact of an unofficial withdrawal, view the Unofficial Withdrawal Policy.

Students who withdraw from the University may experience a reduction in their financial aid and may be required to refund or repay a portion of their financial aid. For additional information on how a student withdrawal may affect current financial aid, view the Return of Federal Student Aid Funds Policy.

Students who withdraw from the University with a reduced tuition rate who received both tuition-specific aid and Federal aid will often have to repay financial aid because both the Federal and tuition-specific aid will be adjusted. Some funds (private scholarships) may need to be totally returned to the donor in the case of a student withdrawal

If a student with current or past loans withdraws, the Financial Aid Office is responsible for notifying the student’s federal loan lender of the date of the withdrawal. The student is responsible for notifying the private or alternative loan lender of the date of the withdrawal. The grace period for Federal Unsubsidized and Subsidized Stafford Loans will begin on the day of the student’s withdrawal from the University. Questions regarding grace periods or repayment status should be directed to the lender.

A student who withdraws while on satisfactory academic progress (SAP) probation will not meet their probationary requirement and will become ineligible for future financial aid without an accepted SAP appeal (see the satisfactory academic progress page).